Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
TIMBERLANE REGIONAL SCHOOLS VIRTUAL LIBRARY
Time Period key points
- Historians have labeled the years from 1870-1914 as the period of the Second Industrial Revolution. While the First Industrial Revolution caused the growth of industries, such as coal, iron, railroads and textiles, the Second Industrial Revolution witnessed the expansion of electricity, petroleum and steel.
- During the years known as the Second Industrial Revolution America developed its mass production, scientific management, and managerial skills.
- Large corporations , or "Trusts" , managed the manufacturing of raw materials such as coal, iron, and oil.
- The "Bessemer" process for manufacturing steel lead to America's first billion dollar corporation: United States Steel.
- Improvements in workflow, mass production and scientific management contributed to economic growth.